Monday, February 22, 2010

My New Series: "Drinking with Johnny 'The Iceman' Hildreth" Episode One, “ So, just what's in a ‘Spanish Harlem'?' "

Famed actor and all around really fine attractive man Mr. Phil Ridarelli jogged my memory tonight in his post on Facebook about having a Manhatten tonight.

I decided to begin my new series of articles entitled "Drinking with Johnny 'The Iceman' Hildreth".  However, in all honesty the series should be entitled "Getting Drunk with Johnny ‘The Iceman’ Hildreth”.

I happen to know almost everyone, and I mean everyone, has a least four such stories they can contribute to this series. I look forward to all of them.

Episode One: “ So, just what's in a ‘Spanish Harlem'?' ". First, a little background on the Manhatten, and on Johnny “The Iceman' Hildreth.

The Manhatten is certainly fine cocktail…and my favorite cocktail. It is an old cocktail. There is a mystique and myth to the Manhatten. It is composed of whisky, sweet vermouth, a hearty dash of bitters, shaken (not stirred! please) on ice and poured straight up in a martini glass or one the rocks, with one or two maraschino cherries.

Personal preferences:
1. Whiskey: I prefer American rye whiskey over bourbon, but it is almost impossible to find American rye in most public houses. You can also use a Canadian whiskey all of which are rye whiskey, but I prefer American ryes, or Kentucky Bourbon, over Candidan Whiskeys. Old Grand Dad Rye or Old Overholt Rey or Wild Turkey Rye or Jim Beam Rye. I just bought a bottle of 6-year-old Russell’s Reserve Rye for my next Manhatten.
2. Vermouth: I am a Noilly Pratt man.
3. Bitters: Angostura, or Peychaud’s if you are in the mood. 3-4 vigorous shakes for one cocktail
4. Ratio Whiskey to Vermouth, three to one. The history of the Manhatten has ratio orginally one to two, one to one, up to ten to one. Trust me on this, three to one.
5. Good clear ice. Chill the shaker.  Chill the glass.
6. Two cherries, please...

Johnny “The Iceman” Hildreth

My good friend Johnny “The Iceman” Hildreth had many really good convivial drunken evenings in the years between 1984 and 1998. Ah, the memories! John Hildreth is an actor, director, teacher, and playwright in Chicago. A founding member of Cardiff Giant, he easily one of the most talented and funniest guys I know, which is saying a great deal. 
     I remember an evening with John Hildreth at Jimmy's Woodlawn Tap in Chicago. We indulged in a series of Manhatten. We usually didn’t need a reason to drink, but still always tried to find new ones. I think the reason that night was that John may never have had a Manhatten up to that point. I remember little else about reasons for that evening. I do remember it as one of our best drunks ever.
     After several Manhattens another friend of mine, Mr. John Bowman, sauntered by. We exchange bon mots, and then JB asks us about our evening's choice of libation.

"Manhattens," we reply.

John Bowman: "Ever had a 'Spanish Harlem'?"

Iceman and Rockin'K (in unison and with much curiousity): "No. So, just what's in a ‘Spanish Harlem'?"

JB: "Well, it's like a Manhatten...with sweet vermouth...except instead of bourbon or rye you use Mezcal. Oh, and instead of a marashino cherry you use a hot pepper...ideally a Jalapeno or even better...a Habenero"

JH/RK: "Sounds fascinating..."

Well, as we expected there was no Mezcal behind the bar at the Woodlawn Tap, but there was tequila. The only peppers to be found were those sort of yellowish hotish pickled Italian Peppers served on salads.
Still we made do and saw the evening through to its inevitable conclusion.
I am not sure I can recommend the Spanish Harlem as the drinks of Kings...but it has its charms...
With much delight I report that the Spanish Harlem is indeed a bonefide cocktail of sorts…


No comments:

Post a Comment